Containing information on Apple iMac issues with reference to Apple  and 3th party sites.
Apple iMac Software
- Apple Support Downloads
More information on the settings of Mac applications:
- Apple Mac iCal, Calendar app
Apple Developer Library  is the main reference for developing software for Apple OSX.
- Apple Developer Library, UNIX entry.
- Developer Apple, OS X Reference, Learn the basics about Mac OS development by reading these documents.
Open Source Mac contains the popular open source applications for the iMac such as Firefox, Thunderbird and Skype.
The MacPorts Project is an open-source community initiative to design an easy-to-use system for compiling, installing, and upgrading either command-line, X11 or Aqua based open-source software on the Mac OS X operating system. To that end we provide the command-line driven MacPorts software package under a BSD License, and through it easy access to thousands of ports that greatly simplify the task of compiling and installing open-source software on your Mac.
top AppleScript is a scripting language created by Apple. It allows users to directly control scriptable Macintosh applications, as well as parts of Mac OS X itself. You can create scripts—sets of written instructions—to automate repetitive tasks, combine features from multiple scriptable applications, and create complex workflows.
top Yes you can run .NET application on a mac. The trick is an open source product called Mono . Mono is a software platform designed to allow developers to easily create cross platform applications. Sponsored by Xamarin, Mono is an open source implementation of Microsoft's .NET Framework based on the ECMA standards for C# and the Common Language Runtime. A growing family of solutions and an active and enthusiastic contributing community is helping position Mono to become the leading choice for development of Linux applications.
- Mono Downloads, available for openSUSE,Mac OSX, Windows, Solaris and others...
- C# Compiler is feature complete for C# 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 (ECMA).
- Mono Runtime implements the ECMA Common Language Infrastructure (CLI). The runtime provides a Just-in-Time (JIT) compiler, an Ahead-of-Time compiler (AOT), a library loader, the garbage collector, a threading system and interoperability functionality.
- Base Class Library provides a comprehensive set of classes that provide a solid foundation to build applications on. These classes are compatible with Microsoft's .Net Framework classes.
- Mono Class Library provides many classes that go above and beyond the Base Class Library provided by Microsoft. These provide additional functionality that are useful, especially in building Linux applications. Some examples are classes for Gtk+, Zip files, LDAP, OpenGL, Cairo, POSIX, etc.
Most imprtant benefit: Mono is built to be cross platform!
In Terminal mode vi/vim is available.
- Vim org, Offical homepage of Vim.
- Mac Vim
- Mac Vim, Vim is a highly configurable text editor, freely available for many different platforms. For general information, advocacy, and the latest news on Vim in general, visit the Vim Home Page. This site is specifically devoted to Vim on the Macintosh. This site is mainly devoted to binary distributions for Mac OS X.
- Mac Vim Wiki,
- Nano-editor, Terminal ha also Nano installed.
- MacWorld Howto, Mac-Software, System Preference complete guide.
When opening a folder using Finder (or an app using the Finder) not all files are shown. You can show files in the Finder with the option in Terminal (Open Terminal). <syntaxhighlight‘ lang="bash" > $ defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles true $ killall Finder </syntaxhighlight>
An alternative without having to make any changes to the system and a method that can be used in Applications that opens a finder-like window is to Hold down CMD-Shift-. (dot). Do it again to hide the files.
Time Machine backup interval
If you think Time Machine backs up too often (or not often enough) for your liking, navigate into /System » Library » LaunchDaemons.
There you'll find a file named com.apple.backupd-auto.plist. Open it in your favorite text editor, and look for this section:
Change the 3600 number to some other time interval in seconds, and you'll have changed Time Machine's backup interval.
Apple OSX uses Spotlight to search the computer for applications, documents etc.
The process of indexation may take a long time especially when you add external devices to your Mac.
To avoid excessive index-time exclude volumes and directories that are not worthwhile in the System Preferences... → Spotlight → Privacy. Click on the Plus (+) sign to exclude a folder and the minus (-) sign to remove the folder from the exclude list.
To check the process start the app 'Activity Monitor' and look for the settings of the 'mdworker'.
- See more at Raw Info Pages, mdworker and mds OSX problems solved, speed your Mac.
The Assemba svn reference site  contains information on how to install Subversion 1.6.6 with an Apache webserver to provide HTTP/WebDAV Interface. CollabNet Installer for Mac OS X (SVN v1.6.6 - Recommended) - Collabnet's Binary will install Subversion Server along with the modules necessary to integrate your Subversion Server with Apache webserver to provide an HTTP/WebDAV interface to your repositories. To install, just visit this link, download the dmg and follow the install instructions.
- CollabNet Community, Download Apple Mac Apache with Subversion (Details Subversion on iMac).
- svnX, Free subversion client.
See UNIX for much more terminal commands.
- sw_version, Shows the version of Apple Terminal and OS X.
- hostinfo, Shows info on kernel version, processor configuration, available memory and statistics on system load.
- system_profiler, Provides all information in a text based way. Easy to copy.
- Pure-Mac on Test and program editors.
Tips & Tricks
- Wanneer in een dialoogvenster de optie ‘Annuleren’ aanwezig is dan kun je ⌘ + . (punt) gebruiken om deze optie te selecteren zonder dat je daarbij de muis of het trackpad hoeft te gebruiken.
- Soms ontvang je emails met een ‘bijzondere’ opmaak, schreeuwende kleuren of het verschrikkelijke comic sans lettertype.
Met behulp van ⌥ + ⌘ + P kun je de huidige e-mail bekijken in platte tekst weergave en dat maakt het lezen van bepaalde e-nmails een stuk prettiger.
Xcode is the complete developer toolset for creating Mac OS X and iPhone OS applications. This package installs the Xcode IDE, performance analysis tools, iPhone Simulator, and OS framework bundles in the form of Mac SDKs and iPhone SDKs.
- Apache 2.2, Docs on Apache 2.2
- DIYMacServer, How to install an Apache HTTP server on your Mac.
- MacInstruct, How to turn your Mac into a Webserver.
- Appletips, Richard IJzermans (Veldhoven) Apple Junk. Site contains (Dutch) Tips & Tricks for Apple Mac.
- Assembla.com, A reference for Subversion Clients, Subversion Servers & More.
- iPhone Program, Apple iPhone Developer Program to access additional support and documentation.
- Kampmeijer, Article on Apple mounting of NFS shares.
- Brandwells, Article on Mac, Subversion and SMB.
- amix, A .vimrc example with useful settings the configuration of vi.