The Eclipse Foundation is a not-for-profit corporation formed to advance the creation, evolution, promotion, and support of the Eclipse Platform and to cultivate both an open source community and an ecosystem of complementary products, capabilities, and services. Eclipse has formed an independent open eco-system around royalty-free technology and a universal platform for tools integration. Eclipse based tools give developers freedom of choice in a multi-language, multi-platform, multi-vendor environment. Eclipse provides a plug-in based framework that makes it easier to create, integrate and utilize software tools, saving time and money.
Eclipse is an open source tool integration platform. It can work seamlessly with other application developent tools. It is suitable for working with C, C++, Java, HTML ans so on. Eclips is 3 things:
- Java Development environment
- Tools Integration paltform
- Open Source Community
Eclipse has several Resource Perspectives:
- Bookmark view, tasks associated with a file.
- Resource view
- Outline view
- Property view
- Stacked view
- Task view, textual reminders of work todo.
Industry leaders Borland, IBM, MERANT, QNX Software Systems, Rational Software, Red Hat, SuSE, TogetherSoft and Webgain formed the initial eclipse.org Board of Stewards in November 2001. By the end of 2003, this initial consortium had grown to over 80 members.
What makes Eclipse great? You can enrich the IDE with powerful plug-ins . The list below are just a small list.
- Mobi-One, Support for the Mobi-One iPhone Development environment.
- CheckStyle, Code checker for your applications.
- EclEmma a free Java code coverage tool for Eclipse, Internally it is based on the great EMMA Java code coverage tool, trying to adopt EMMA's philosophy for the Eclipse workbench:
- Fast develop/test cycle: Launches from within the workbench like JUnit test runs can directly be analyzed for code coverage.
- Rich coverage analysis: Coverage results are immediately summarized and highlighted in the Java source code editors.
- Non-invasive: EclEmma does not require modifying your projects or performing any other setup.
The settings of Eclipse are kept into the workspace, so every time another workspace is opened the projects settings are gones. To access the font settings quickly use» . Now use the <type filter text> TextBox and type . The Color and Font dialog is opened.
Spaces iso Tabs
One very annoying habit of Eclipse default settings is tabs iso spaces. More annoying is the fact it is difficult to find, because in every version of Eclipse it is hidden in another place. For Eclispe Version 3.2:
» » » » » » » set to Spaces only.
Eclipse Modeling Framework.
- Eclipse EMF, Documentation.
- Lars Vogel, A Tour of the Eclipse Modeling Framework. Tutorial on Modeling with EMF.
- Modeling, See for more information.
- Eclipse Cheat Sheet, based on Lars Trieloff Cheat Sheet, see below.
- Eclipse Shortcuts, Keyboard shortcuts for Eclipse.
- Open Source
- FindBugs, Finds bugs in source code made by the University of Maryland.
- PMD, PMD scans Java source code and looks for potential bugs.
- Callisto's goal is to release 10 major Eclipse projects at the same time.
- Cheat Sheet Eclipse, made by Lars Trieloff
- Eclipse Help General Help
- Eclipse Help Guide with tutorials and more (Highly recommended)
- Eclipse Open Source Java IDE
- Eclipse Plugins
- Export and Import tutorial, create JAR-files.
- Shrimp, Computer Human Interaction & Software Engeneering Lab (Chisel).
- Eclipse Plug-in Central. The home of the plug-ins available for Eclipse