Chess is a fascinating game. MediaWiki has a great template for creating chess boards. Below are 2 examples of chess positions:
I have been the chairman of LSG (Leidsch Schaak Genootschap), an illustrious chess society in Leiden. LSG is one of the largest chess clubs of the Netherlands and organizes the largest not sponsored tournament Daniel Noteboom.
top Chess can be played on the internet. What you need is basically is a chess server. They are normally hosted by chess internet clubs. The most famous are: Chess can be played on the Internet there are 2 clubs:
- Free Internet Chess Server (FICS), free chess internet chess club. The club also provides information on Clients to play chess on Windows and Mac.
- Internet Chess Club (ICC), paid chess internet chess club. The Club also provides Client Applications for Windows and Mac.
To play a GUI is necessary. Also more choices:
- Babas Chess, the most sophisticated Windows based version.
- Winboard, Winboard and XBoard on Tim Mmann is GNU based chess program
- JinChess, Java version, available as Applet version and run alone version.
ChessBase (commercial) is a personal, stand-alone chess database that has become the standard throughout the world. Everyone uses ChessBase, from the World Champion to the amateur next door. It is the program of choice for anyone who loves the game and wants to know more about it. Start your personal success story with ChessBase and enjoy the game even more.
SCID (Shane's Chess Information Database) is an open application to view, edit, and manage collections of chess games.
SCID is multi-platform: it runs on Unix/Linux, OSX, Windows, and Android.
Study Chess Like You Mean It. Manage databases with millions of games, analyze using UCI or Winboard engines, prepare for your next opponent, and much more.
And it's Free and Open Source (GPL Licensed).
- ChessBase Live Database is an online Database made by the mother of the Chess Database App and Chess engine Fritz. Also available as installable program on your PC (Windows only). To download PGN files you need an account (Prices are from € 34.90/year).
- scid, Sourceforge entry to the SCID source code and installation.